AQUARIUS DICTIONARY DRAWING

6.5" X 9.5" Ink Drawing on Painted, Antique, Dictionary Page
I am having so much fun drawing a series of dictionary drawings with a different twist from my usual color choices.  For these zodiac pieces, I have pulled definitions for all twelve signs of the zodiac from the same, beautiful dictionary with a copyright from the 1930's.  It's a gorgeous, old book with lots of wear and tear sending it to the dumpster.

I decided to paint a dark, watercolor wash of blues, violets and magenta over the page so I could have enough contrast to draw using white pens and permanent, white inks.  I wanted my zodiac drawings to all be designed as their constellations. 

I did quite a bit of research for each constellation and discovered not everyone agrees on the exact configuration of the stars for the 88 constellations.  I tried to create the star pattern that has the most scientific support but let's face it - constellations are ancient.

The other goal was to create my own mythical characters and designs while still trying to keep the look and feel of something like the old Greek illustrations first drawn over 5,000 years ago.

So meet my waterbearer just in time for this sign to be celebrated on our calendar.  My youngest daughter was my model and we both share the sign of Aquarius.  Prints of this drawing will soon be lettered and available on my Etsy shop.

Comments

Popular Posts