"Time to Catch Wishes, Hopes and Dreams"
Mixed Media on 12" x 18" Masonite Board

 I was determined to complete some unfinished pieces that have been patiently waiting for attention in my art studio.  The beginning of a new year is the perfect time to revisit unfinished business. 

I used everything I could find on this piece as kind of a mad scientist experimenting with everything in the lab.  I used acrylic, Copic markers, colored pencils, pastels, charcoal, ink, white ink, lots of collaged papers, stamps and metallic paints.  I'm sure I'm leaving something out.  My goal was to enjoy the process and be as playful as I wanted.

I knew I wanted the piece to be about catching positive words and that I wanted to feature two female characters.

Collaged dictionary, wallpaper and Scrapbook Papers
 I started by using gel medium to glue down all sorts of pretty papers.  I have wallpaper books, scrapbook papers and included an enlarged dictionary page with the definition of "wish."

Watered down acrylic Wash
 When I was happy with the collage background, I selected a limited number of acrylic colors and did a very watered down wash creating a moon/sun (whatever you prefer) and a little ground for my characters to inhabit.  It was important to me to let most of the patterns on the first layer of paper shine through.
Sepia Copic markers outlines of my characters
I just started collection Copic markers and I have a lot to learn about how to use them.  I decided to start by using them to draw out my imaginary characters.   I didn't worry too much about proportions or realism.  I wanted these two ladies to have lots of personality and whimsy.

Collage and colored pencil under layers
I was really curious about how different brands of colored pencils would react under acrylic washes so I used all sorts of pencils to create patterns around the piece.  
Stamps alphabet letters float above the characters
My original idea was for the characters to be trying to catch and collect inspirational words floating by.  So I once again, used the Copic markers to color sections of papers and then stamped over them with alphabet stamps using three different shades of brown ink pads.  I wanted the letters to be a variety of sizes, fonts and some dark and some faded.

It's so much fun to depart from my usual style and techniques and just play in my studio.  I have so many wonderful supplies and I wish I had more time to enjoy them all.  I learned lots of things while playing around and hope to incorporate my discoveries into other work.


Popular Posts