ABOUT ME

"ME"
I've kept drifting further and further away from blogging and do most of my online posting via Facebook and Instagram.  Lately when I revisited my blog, I became nostalgic and was reminded of the importance of really writing about my art and my art classroom.  I want to try to keep that going.

I am often reminded that most artists who are remembered have left some kind of written story.  We know so much about Van Gogh and his work through the letters he wrote to his brother Theo.  Vincent was famous for not giving his work titles so in many cases, the only record of what he was thinking or studying were found in those letters between brothers.  O'Keeffe is much the same.  We know about what she was thinking and striving for thanks to the many letters she sent during her lifetime.

Blogging is much like that and allows artists to communicate more than a hashtag and few incomplete sentences.  Art becomes so much more personal and valued when you are aware of the intent, the struggle and the meaning.

Lately I have been very aware of the value of telling the story behind my work - what inspires me, what challenges me and what I am wanting to accomplish.  I want to tell my story and hope to share it here.

I rediscovered this photo of me at 3 or 4 years old thanks to the gift of a gorgeous, family scrapbook made by my sister.  At this age,  I had already discovered my desire and drive to create.  I would love to be able to tell this little girl what her story was going to be and that it would be grander and more amazing than she ever dreamt.

Comments

Popular Posts