BROOKS RANGE HUNT

Last October I received a photo from a friend who now lives in Alaska.  She asked if I would paint it as a gift for her husband.  The photo was of a campsite in front of an amazing sky and Alaskan mountain range.  With holidays, directing a play and lots of family obligations, her request has been on the back burner until this weekend.


"Hunt in the Alaskan Brooks Range"
22" x 16"
Pastel on Canson Mi-Teintes

I wish my little Canon Power Shot could better capture the correct colors and that my skills on Photoshop could create a better digital image.  But as is usually the case - you need to see it up close and personal.  The horns aren't this yellow and the foreground is colorful but not quite this orange.

Commission work is always a little nerve-racking for me.  I am fearful of pleasing the customer and worry about successfully interpreting what they have in mind - especially when it comes from a specific photo that the customer already cherishes.  I really am anxious for this piece to safely travel all the way to its new home in Alaska and even more anxious to please my friend. 

Comments

Popular Posts