VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

ASHER & HADLEY PERSONALIZED WATERCOLORS

I've had two commissions for personalized watercolors waiting for my attention for a long time.  With the end of school, family and pending surgery I am behind on these orders. These simple little pieces take a great deal of time to complete and are often more of a gift of my time even with the price tag.  I thought I'd share a little of the process.

To start I draw multiple, cartoon images to suit the customer.  Most of these watercolors are personalized baby gifts and match some sort of nursery theme.  I usually draw the images in colored pencils and then paint them with watercolors.  I often make a ton of these pieces not knowing exactly how I'll arrange them around the child's name.



Then comes the job of cutting out each little piece over and over again.  I use both scissors and X-Acto knives to get the intricate, tiny cuts.  I actually stumbled on the idea of creating 3-dimensional paintings after a horrible watercolor mistake on a nearly finished piece.  I was desperate to salvage hours of work and decided to create cut-outs to cover my mistake.  The idea took off!  I think having this little characters and embellishments popping out of the picture are a great touch.

So here is Asher's finished watercolor.  As in all commission work - I sure hope my friend likes the finished piece!
Here's a close-up of the monkeys, background and the silly, jungle birds I invented to embellish the painting.  I tend to get really "busy" with these paintings but the fun is assembling all the tiny pieces and seeing it come to life.
 I debated about posting the painting for baby Hadley.  As is sometimes the case, this customer needed a copyrighted image used which always makes me a little itchy.  But this special baby has a Disney themed nursery waiting.  I really prefer to invent my own cartoon characters but I actually loved putting this painting together.
I am still preparing for a total knee replacement next week.  However, I am also battling my blood pressure which has been extremely high.  If the blood pressure problem doesn't regulate I may be hobbling around a little longer - so, prayers appreciated!

1 comment:

anamaria_nedelcu2013 said...

nice!
http://magicfoto.blogspot.com/