VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

TIME

Time
6" x 9" Mixed Media Drawing on Distressed, Dictionary Page

I am gradually building up my inventory for my growing list of summer shows.  Early in this series I created a piece about time and it sold pretty quickly.  I decided to reproduce that page but I didn't want to just redraw what I had already done.  I find it really boring to copy something even if it is from my original work. But I've discovered that certain themes and images are popular so I want to include them in my new shows.

For this page I wanted to build something that looked like it was pretty used up.  I have long loved clock faces and have used them quite a bit in my artwork.  I especially like vintage, old clocks that show some wear and tear.  In other pieces I've set the clock to reflect the birth dates of our family members.  In this clock I have the hands at 2:14 which is the birthday of our newest grandchild, Quinn.

While I was working on this piece our family got word that a classmate of Quinn's mother, my daughter Lindsay, had unexpectedly and tragically died.  It's been a very sad week.  As I drew I thought a lot about my precious little Quinn and about Lindsay's childhood friend who died at the age of 30.  I think my feelings came through on this piece - the passage of time and all that transpires with it.

No comments: