VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

MOTORCYCLE



"Motorcycle"
5" x 5" Mixed Media Drawing on Distressed, Dictionary Page
Original SOLD (maybe) - Prints Available

I have been waiting to post this drawing.  It is a commissioned piece but the buyer has been dragging their feet about getting back to me.  I've already sold a print of the piece and may post the original in a few days if the buyer doesn't respond soon.

The great fun in creating these dictionary drawings is trying to invent as many colors as I can while still capturing the reality of the subject.  I cropped this drawing back to 5" x 5" but the original actually is still on the full page from the book.

My dictionary pages come from a 1961 elementary dictionary.  The pages are aged (it pains to me to say that something from when I was 5 years old is "aged").  Because the pages are delicate it takes some skill to distress them, draw on them and add many layers of color.  I can claim that I have yet to damage a page so badly while drawing that I've had to discard it but occasionally there are some rough areas and little, tiny holes where the paper has dissolved when marked.

I have actually taken a break from drawing for a few days.  I am enjoying the last few days of my summer vacation and am doing some craft and personal projects in my studio that I've had on my list for some time.  I need longer days and longer summers to complete everything on my lengthy list.  My brain is bad for dreaming up far more than I can accomplish in my limited lifetime.

No comments: