VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Saturday, January 24, 2015

I AM NOT A DRAWER


I AM NOT A DRAWER - I AM A DRAGANEER!

When people ask me about my art I always find myself annoyed with describing myself as a "drawer."  Sure I paint some so I am a painter.  I can sculpt a little so I am a sculptor and I can craft like any crafter but I have never liked the term drawer.  So I've decided to invent a new term (or repurpose a really old one) for those "drawers" out there who also dislike this awkward term.  I am officially promoting the term "draganeer."  Doesn't that sound better?

Drawers for me growing up was a term for underwear.  I have drawers in my dresser where I keep my underwear.  Drawer is a clunky word I've never liked.  I've tried on the term sketcher - ugh.  I've used illustrator or graphic artist but neither fits.  Sketch artist sounds like someone who only sets up at carnivals or draws eye witness accounts of wanted criminals.

I looked up the origin of the word draw and discovered the Old English ancestor of the modern English draw was dragan (which means to drag as in drag a pencil or brush).  I LOVE THAT!  So I decided to add to that term. As a lover of Walt Disney I remember he titled his imaginative staff of artists as Imagineers.  Adding that eer seemed to gussy-up my title even more.  I decided to forever be a Draganeer.  

I hope it catches on.  So to all you fellow drawers out there - let's join forces and claim our new title.  Daganeers unite!

My studio is a mess, I have a major show to prepare for 
but I decided to spend my morning happily 
drawing in my sketchbook so I could illustrate my new title. 
This happy fellow is created with watercolors, ink
and now lives in my sketchbook.

No comments: