WORLD WATERCOLOR MONTH BEGINS


Last July I started the challenge to create 31 watercolor paintings during the month of July as part of World Watercolor Month.  I learned so much doing this online challenge so I decided to join in again this summer.  You can find examples of what artists around the world are doing this month with the hashtag #worldwatercolormonth on any online platform like Facebook, Instagram, etc.

World Watercolor Month taught me some personal discipline, improved my confidence and pushed me as an artist.  It also helped me sympathize with the anxiety and burdens my students often experience when I am pushing them to create with deadlines and constantly changing demands.

It was also a great departure from my popular, dictionary drawings.  I have worked very hard to create a series of dictionary art that is uniform with a distinct, identifiable style.  That means I am dedicated to using the same techniques, media and themes.  Creating these daily watercolors let me play, experiment and make some new discoveries.

So I am off again.



Like last year, I am on the road most of July as my husband and I travel to art shows across the country.  We load up Wednesday and head to the great Northwest starting with a weekend show in beautiful, Jackson Hole, Wyoming.  One of the joys of doing this challenge while I travel is creating something of a pictorial, travel log of our journey.

My first painting is a cartoon me painting my world.  As I create these paintings, I have a few rules for myself - the paintings need to be small (no larger than 7" x 10", quick (have to be drawn and painted in around an hour) and filled with variety and express the day (new subjects and ideas and something that ties to the events of the day).  

For this painting - I used to love wearing overalls and recently ordered a pair to to wear but when they arrived, they didn't fit my 60 year old body like they used to.  I was so disappointed and had to send them back.  It made me feel a little better to paint them on me.  I also wanted a good first painting that helped start this new series so I started with an illustration of happily painting the world.

Stay tuned.  I hope to share my progress , frustrations and insights.

Comments

Popular Posts