1948 BROWN BUTTERFLY, FROG & NEST


Butterfly
5" x 8" Dictionary Page

Frog
5" x 8" Dictionary Page

Nest
5" x 8" Dictionary Page

For the longest time, I only drew on a specific, children's dictionary from the 1950's.  I loved the feel of the pages, the simple definitions and the vintage illustrations.  Recently I've discovered I can work on older books and I've found multiple dictionary publishers....who knew?  I thought Websters had the dictionary game all sewed up.

These three drawings were completed in time for the Memorial Day Art Show in OKC.  I was thrilled that this small, brown book would take marks and water media.  The dark color of the pages actually enhanced the colors I chose and made the colors richer and more vibrant.  The book was copyrighted from 1948 and each page is beautiful all by itself.  The cover was barely attached and there were some pretty bent, ripped sections but I found those lovely, too.  I can't wait to explore more work from this special book.


Comments

Popular Posts