VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Monday, April 30, 2012

STARTING 2012 ART FESTIVAL BANNER

 This year's Sunflower Art, Food & Wine Festival street banner is inspired by reproductions of vintage wallpaper.  I love the look of antique wallpaper designs and I decided to create a background design using a carved stamp.  I found a fleur de lis pattern, copied it and carved a rubber stamp of the design.  My students are currently completing a printmaking unit so all the supplies are spread out all over my classroom.

 I want a neutral color scheme for the background so after I stretched and taped down the banner I started applying an umber, olive green and yellow ochre mix.  I hope to create a digitized image on top of the background using dark brown values.  I'm still not sure what the focal point, subject matter is going to be but I'd like to take a photo of a local cowboy.


Today I found time to charge the carved design and print it on the dried background.  I decided to use an off white acrylic paint instead of printing ink.  This way I can go over it with acrylic paint after it dries and wash out some of the color.  I carefully measured the size of the stamp and the background to try and line everything up - math is never the fun part!


The stamp is now in place and drying.  I plan to sponge out the bright white so it looks dingy and worn.

I love doing this project each year.  Finished banners are to be hung up and down our main street in a couple of weeks to promote the upcoming festival.  Banners will be auctioned off during the event.

No comments: