VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

MY ART STUDIO FLOOR


Painting Pattern on my Studio Floor

I am blessed to have a home, art studio.  When we bought our old, fixer-upper the garage had been converted into a beauty shop so I had used that space as an art studio for years.  Unfortunately, the old water pipes never really worked and there was no heat or air so I didn't work in there very often. 

I would have to drag a space heater and fan to my studio as the weather demanded and eventually the space just turned into storage.  As my daughters left the nest, I would set up tables around our big house and live with the clutter in my living room or dining room.  One day I woke up to the fact I lived in an enormous house with five bedrooms and no one occupying much of the space.  So I set about clearing a second story bedroom with perfect, North light and established my studio.  It was just the step I needed to really "seal the deal" and create a working studio.

Now and then I try to improve my little studio with better storage and little touches that make the space more artsy and cozy.  There is a pretty damaged, hardwood floor in the room.  My middle daughter once occupied it as her bedroom so there are paint splatters and scars here and there.  I knew I didn't want to carpet the floor since more paint and such were sure to happen but I needed to improve the floor.

So I plopped down, grabbed a bottle of black paint and started building a carpet of patterns.  I don't know when I'll finish but it's sure fun to take a break from time to time and add another little square.  I occasionally have studio visitors and I think this adds a cool touch.

About a year ago I got the urge to sell our big house and find something newer and smaller.  I visited with a realtor about listing our home and he immediately said we had to repaint rooms and make more neutral changes.  I have freely painted rooms all sorts of vivid colors and even added "creative" touches outside.  I let my daughters design and paint their rooms to suit their moods, too.  Realizing I actually love our old, run down HUGE house I went the other way - I've added more artistic touches like this floor.  I want to live in my house and enjoy it.  The next owner can do what they want but for now - it's my space.

No comments: