Life has been pretty hectic while directing and performing in a play. My classroom has also kept me busy.
A friend requested an African elephant dictionary drawing and the deadline is fast approaching. I finally was able to make time to get it finished and on it's way to a new home. It seems that animals have occupied my easel quite a bit lately.
I tell my students all the time to draw or paint what they know. I think the best art is personal but commissioned pieces usually take you out of that familiar subject area. Drawing an African elephant had some challenges since I'm miles and miles from any actual elephants I can photograph and study. I pride myself on original work so this guy had to be created from the parts of lots of different photographs and resource books. I now the basics of an elephant - trunk, big ears,etc. but I certainly am not an expert. The other challenge was to take something without much color and give it a little interest.
I finally finished him and got him lettered late last night after our last play practice for the week. Today we set lights and do some tech and I hope to have a little rest before we open next week.