HEADING TO CRESTED BUTTE


Only a week away until I get to end my summer in the beautiful, quaint town of Crested Butte, Colorado.  The art show opens next Friday and runs all weekend along the main street of the town.  I can smell those pine trees and that crisp mountain air - I ready to go!

I did this festival three times over 30 years ago but retired from art shows as my children got bigger.  My daughters actually loved frolicking around vendors during art shows but it became a little too much to manage so I hung up my tent and stopped doing art festivals.

This has been my second year to get back into the art show circuit.  It's been a wonderful experience but I've got to say - doing art shows around the country is a lot of work and requires some strength and endurance.  I am fortunate that my husband is able to be with me for most shows and it takes both of us to set up and man our booth.

I've learned a great deal about the business of doing art shows.  First - it IS a business.  The folks who succeed at this sort of thing put lots of time into creating unique, professional displays, sharp promotional materials and lots and lot and lots of inventory.

Second - it's hard work.  It takes some muscle and patience to pack, set up and tear down all the necessary stuff needed to do a show.  I've found my booth neighbors to generally be helpful, kind folks who will lend a hand and share their knowledge of "the circuit."

I have two more shows scheduled for this year.  I go to Garden City, KS for their annual Tumbleweed Festival August 22-24 and will be back at the Rio Grande Holiday Festival in Albuquerque over Thanksgiving.  I've already been invited back to Oklahoma City Festival of the Arts next spring and accepted their invitation today.

Again, this has been a great experience and I am planning to visit more of the country next year.  Now its time to dust off my school desk and prepare for a new school year.

Comments

Popular Posts