WHAT I'VE BEEN UP TO

There are always lots of different project going on in my classroom and studio.  Some are demonstration pieces that I use when I start new units, some are commissions from customers, some are requests for friends and family and some are just for fun.  Here's a little of what I've been up to this week.

City of Guymon traffic signal box design contest

My community is joining many others to decorate our ugly, metal traffic signal boxes that are installed along our roadways.  I was recently asked to get my students to submit designs for the contest.  This is my demo design on the template I created for them.  I decided to create something that looked like one of those vintage, travel postcards.  I don't think anyone has ever made one of these postcards for our community.  This drawing is done with Sharpie markers and colored pencils.  I am deliberately using everyday media to demonstrate what my students can create with inexpensive art supplies.

A possible children's book

A very dear friend contacted me about creating some illustrations for her children's book.  She has written a story for preschoolers about a lion.  Coming up with an original, cartoon lion was a challenge.  I had no idea there were so many lion characters out there - lots of lions star in children's books.

This was another project I create in front of my students as a teaching tool.  I first did some quick sketches on my ipad to find a unique looking lion.  I find that drawing on my ipad limits my skill and often helps me find a new look.  This character was created with colored pencils and watercolors.  I also came up with a cute stage as the environment for the book.  

I'm not sure where this project might go.  Illustrating children's books is quite a business and very competitive. My friend was pleased which was what I was shooting for.

Stage Props for the musical "Footloose"

My youngest daughter is directing the musical "Footloose" at her school.  It is her first directorial effort as a theater teacher.  She asked if I would come up with a reversible sign that could be used in scenes for a burger joint and a bar-b-Que joint.  These designs will be projected on heavy Styrofoam, painted in acrylic and built on something like a giant Popsicle stick on a stand.  These two designs are not real originals and are mashed up versions of ideas she found online.  It was still fun to draw and color them.  I'm traveling down to help her create the stage sized versions.



So that's some of my week as a happy artist.  

Comments

Popular Posts