VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

VALUE DRAWING FOR BEGINNING ARTISTS


One of my first purchases as an art teacher were these wooden, geometric forms.  I use them every year.  I like to teach my students precise methods of using their pencils to create smooth marks without smearing then we pull out these forms.  I demonstrate and we cover shadows and shading for each of the basic forms.  Then the students have to combine them and create a composition.


I have extension cords running from all over the room so each group of students has a tray with their own light source.  I've done this type of activity since I first started teaching.  I imagine every art teacher out there has something similar in their drawing classes.


My classes are currently large - 27 or so in each of my beginning classes.  I am fortunate to have a big classroom which can accommodate all these people and have room to store their work and all my supplies.

No comments: