VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

BROOKS RANGE HUNT

Last October I received a photo from a friend who now lives in Alaska.  She asked if I would paint it as a gift for her husband.  The photo was of a campsite in front of an amazing sky and Alaskan mountain range.  With holidays, directing a play and lots of family obligations, her request has been on the back burner until this weekend.


"Hunt in the Alaskan Brooks Range"
22" x 16"
Pastel on Canson Mi-Teintes

I wish my little Canon Power Shot could better capture the correct colors and that my skills on Photoshop could create a better digital image.  But as is usually the case - you need to see it up close and personal.  The horns aren't this yellow and the foreground is colorful but not quite this orange.

Commission work is always a little nerve-racking for me.  I am fearful of pleasing the customer and worry about successfully interpreting what they have in mind - especially when it comes from a specific photo that the customer already cherishes.  I really am anxious for this piece to safely travel all the way to its new home in Alaska and even more anxious to please my friend. 

No comments: