VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

WALK A MILE REVISTED

A year ago I did a small, colored pencil drawing of my grandmother's moccasins.  The piece sold quickly at our local gallery.  I have often thought I should revisit this special subject matter and create more work featuring these antique keepsakes.

I recently purchased two small canvases and decided to take the moccasins out of their protective glass containers and get to work in acrylic.  With the start of school, I have loads of demo pieces going at school with my students but wanted to have a gallery quality piece started on my easel at home too.

So here's my beginning.  I started by under painting the canvas then applied a great carmine color which I roughed up and scrubbed out so the under painting shown through.  I love creating portals in my work so this wrap around canvas was perfect for a vintage looking frame.

I also decided to compose the shoes so they would look like they were hanging on the canvas from a straight forward viewpoint.

So the fun is about to begin.  I am anxious to challenge myself to capture the worn hide and tiny beads on these old shoes.

No comments: