VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Thursday, March 08, 2012

TEACUP

"Teacup"
5" x 5" Mixed Media Drawing on Distressed, Dictionary Page

I finished this piece yesterday afternoon and was really not pleased with the outcome.  A couple of other drawings actually were tossed in the trash and I felt pretty discouraged.  Sometimes a piece with create itself with ease and other times drawing and painting can be a real battle - the latter was my experience yesterday.

I am always helping my students rescue a piece when they feel something is ruined.  Fear of messing up and making a wrong choice is a terrible obstacle for artists especially when they have started something that looks great but still needs more attention.  I still lots of my kids stop in their tracks for fear of making a wrong mark or broken hearted after they spill pain, have ink run or a multitude of other problems.  Often we can overcome a problem area but sadly there are times when you just have to appreciate what you've learned and apply it to another piece.

I'm not sure I am fond of this little teacup but I decided it would live to see another day.  I am concerned that the ink values on the cup and saucer are a little too dark and I'm sure I really like the color of the floral design....all choices that someone else may not notice.

Not every piece is a masterpiece and I'm constantly surprised when someone is attracted to a piece that I really didn't think had much merit.  Maybe this little drawing will have an admirer out there somewhere.

No comments: