VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

2014 BOOKPLATE BEGINS

Family Keepsakes

Each November I create a stipple ink drawing which I turn into adhesive, personalized bookplates for family and friends.  With the Thanksgiving art show and our daughter's fall wedding, I am behind getting this project started.

I love creating a drawing that has some significance and represents an event or experience from the previous year.  I've known for months what I wanted to use for this year's bookplate and I've been so anxious to finish up my series of dictionary drawings so I could start.  I've had all these items sitting on my desk waiting to go and it's been kinda like waiting on dessert....I am so excited to start.

I discovered love letters written back and forth between my parents when they first married in the 1930's.  I had all the letters out and used them as decorations during our daughter's wedding.  I knew I wanted to use those letters in this year's bookplate.

My mother kept everything and while cleaning out her farmhouse, my sisters and I finally just piled keepsakes in boxes to sort through later.  To my surprised I discovered that I had my parent's original marriage license, too.

So with the big wedding in our family this past year I am combining all sorts of family keepsakes for this year's bookplate.


Starting to Stipple

Creating all these letters will be quite a challenge but a personal challenge is part of what I seek when doing these annual bookplates.  I love the textures, colors and sentimentality of these precious letters.

Well, I'm off to stipple away.

No comments: