VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

DOCTOR

"Doctor"
6" x 9" Mixed Media Drawing on Antique Dictionary Page

I'm busy in my studio building new inventory for my upcoming show in Albuquerque, NM.  I have piles of work in progress and am so anxious to get there and enjoy this wonderful show and town.

As I prepare new work, I feel like I am walking a bit of a tight rope between making what I think is quality, fine art and just making work that sells well.  Of course, I want to sell a lot of artwork but I don't want to just make something commercial with no soul.

Since I began working on dictionary pages I have had all sorts of requests - some good, some really strange.  I often think of those little personalized license plates for bikes that you used to find in convenience stores around the country.  People would search and search to find their names.  I made myself a promise that I would not create artwork like that.  I love when someone has a personal connection with something I've created but I don't want the process to be all about making an assembly line of drawings that I'm not personally proud of.



I've made quite a few occupation pages on dictionary pages.  I don't want to just generate every occupation out there in hopes of a sale but I do want to capture a sense of that occupation and it's importance. Hopefully, this piece, "Doctor" accomplishes that goal.

My great grandfather was a country doctor in rural Oklahoma.  I'd like to think this is a bit of a tribute to him.

No comments: