DOCTOR

"Doctor"
6" x 9" Mixed Media Drawing on Antique Dictionary Page

I'm busy in my studio building new inventory for my upcoming show in Albuquerque, NM.  I have piles of work in progress and am so anxious to get there and enjoy this wonderful show and town.

As I prepare new work, I feel like I am walking a bit of a tight rope between making what I think is quality, fine art and just making work that sells well.  Of course, I want to sell a lot of artwork but I don't want to just make something commercial with no soul.

Since I began working on dictionary pages I have had all sorts of requests - some good, some really strange.  I often think of those little personalized license plates for bikes that you used to find in convenience stores around the country.  People would search and search to find their names.  I made myself a promise that I would not create artwork like that.  I love when someone has a personal connection with something I've created but I don't want the process to be all about making an assembly line of drawings that I'm not personally proud of.



I've made quite a few occupation pages on dictionary pages.  I don't want to just generate every occupation out there in hopes of a sale but I do want to capture a sense of that occupation and it's importance. Hopefully, this piece, "Doctor" accomplishes that goal.

My great grandfather was a country doctor in rural Oklahoma.  I'd like to think this is a bit of a tribute to him.

Comments

Popular Posts