JOURNEY



"Journey"
12" x 18" Mixed Media Drawing on Distressed, Parchment Paper

I just finished a second, larger drawing on a reproduction of a dictionary paper.  I love antique things that show wear and use and that's what I was going for with these vintage compasses.  I thought they served as a fitting metaphor for JOURNEY. 

There were a few times during the construction of this piece that I contemplated tearing it up and throwing it in the trash.  I am at that stage of preparation for my solo show that I am doubting my choices and fretting over what I've sign on to.  I think most creative folks find themselves in this pickle from time to time.

I believe strongly in challenging myself and pushing myself to create.  I know far too many skilled artists who never venture out and promote their work and have stacks of dusty work tucked under their bed or the back of their closets.  I see students every year with mad talent who aren't willing to put the time and effort into creating the work that they are capable of.  I am determined not to let that happen to me.

I took a break this morning to drop off some mailing addresses to the gallery sponsoring my solo show.  They are graciously mailing out invitations to friends and family.  While I was there my daughter Lindsay and grandson Tate stopped by.

Lindsay and Tate admire a poster in the gallery promoting my show

So after a good dose of family support, a friendly chat with the wonderful, gallery director I am back on the easel and going at it again.  Hopefully I won't have to be medicated before the show happens...(just kidding there). 

Comments

Popular Posts