VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN

I can hear strains of Gene Autry as I gather supplies and organize my easel for my upcoming Taos, NM show.  I have a pile of measured papers and mats ready to go.  I've found that it's easier to prepare
everything in advance so I can concentrate on the fun of painting when the mood strikes and the time is right.

I measure, cut, tape and label my Canson MiTeintes papers in assorted sizes on scraps of mat board.  For a show I like to create an assortment of small sizes ranging from 4" to 18."  I love to work larger but smaller pieces are cheaper to frame, ship and sell for less.

Next I cut mats and frame backing for each piece.  I detest cutting mats which is made easier since I have access to a fabulous mat cutter in my high school classroom.  This time of year I am cutting hundreds of mats (in spite of how much I hate doing it) for my student's competitions.  There are lots of scraps left over which help my budget.  This way I also know exactly what size of frames and glass I am going to need.  This helps me budget what expense I am going to have.

So now I'm ready to start a new series of food still life paintings for my Spring show.  I bought some lovely, golden pears last night that I think will be the first piece on the easel.  I hope to add about ten new pieces to replace the inventory I've sold or given away.

"Back in the Saddle Again!"

No comments: