VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

THE MYSTERIOUS "MAE"

Last summer I found this painting at a yard sale and I had to rescue it.  The yard sale was in the former home of the deceased Guymon resident, Vonceil Gray (not sure I spelled that correctly).  She and her husband had owned a wonderful dress shop on main street where I remember shopping with my mother and older sisters.  Vonceil was a really classy woman who was always beautifully dressed whenever you saw her. When she died, her home and it's contents were sold.
It's hard for me to see a discarded work of art (well there are some that might deserve to be hidden under the bed).  I have difficulty throwing away abandoned student work left in my classroom, too.  Mae (which was written on the back of the canvas cardboard) needed a home so I not only brought her to mine but I also hung her on the wall.  Someone did a nice job of depicting this person using some lovely color techniques.

The only other clue I have is the date "1972" written on the back of the piece.  Someone had marked out something beside the name, Mae but I can't make it out under the black.

I've lived in the same little town for over 50 years and think I know just about every aspiring artist in town but no Mae comes to mind.  I don't know if it's the name of the artist or the subject.  So Mae remains a mystery.

Maybe someone out there can help identify her.  Regardless, she is admired, enjoyed and appreciated each and everyday as I walk past her.  Someone cared enough to capture her and Vonceil cared enough to frame and display her in her beautiful home.

I think each and every working artist hopes that their creations outlast them and are appreciated and cared for long after they are gone.

No comments: