VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Monday, January 31, 2011

I'D LOVE A CUP"

"I'd Love a Cup"
24" x 18"
Pastel on Black Canson MiTeintes Paper

Here's a brand new, large pastel made especially for the opening of the new coffee house.  I'm also claiming this as this year's valentine artwork for my family.  I hope to hang my work sometime later this week in time for the coffee house opening on Saturday.

Since this was a quick piece, I decided to make it all about the color.  I discovered a quote a few days ago that read "Value tells the story but color gets the credit."  I wrote it out and posted it in my classroom.  My students are all learning color theory and starting to work in colored pencils or pastels.  It's a real challenge for them to suddenly work in colored media so I am constantly talking about the importance of color value.  I thought this piece would help me explain using the color wheel, developing color values and being bold with color choices.

I think I may need to do some more pieces in this simple style.  I used to do a lot of work with strong, black outlines on black paper and I forgot how much fun they are to do.  I've also been itching to use some metallic pastels I found in an art shop in Santa Fe which I finally put to use to make the portal around the coffee cups.

1 comment:

Santiago Appleseed said...

Everything you do is amazing! I love these soft but vibrant colors and the composition, what a wonderful valentine you've shared :)
Now, i've got to go make some coffee. haha.