VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Sunday, May 17, 2015

HONOR

Honor
8.5" x 12" Mixed Media Drawing on Antique Dictionary

I first drew an honor page three years ago.  I asked my father-in-law who had served in the army to let me take a photo of his hand over his heart.  I then asked him to send me pictures of any medals he might have been awarded during his service to have on his shirt.  After I finished the drawing, I never made a scan. I never made any prints.  I gave it as a one-of-a-kind gift to him.  The drawing hangs on the walls of his home.

I've done quite a few pages about the arm forces and the military and I wanted to include something new in next weekend's art show over Memorial Day.  I had to do quite a bit of searching for old photos on my computer and I finally found the photograph of my father-in-law's hand.  I decided I wanted to make this more of a universal piece so I suggested some camo and added the army tag.

I am very proud of my family for their military service in a variety of branches if the armed services.  I'm very grateful to my friends and students who have served.

1 comment:

Linda B. said...

This is lovely - your use of the page coloring as part of the camo is brilliant. Always love your work on text paper!