VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Thursday, May 07, 2015

THE BUSINESS OF ART


A list of planned drawings with framing measurements

I love to draw.  I love to paint.  I love to teach my students everything I possibly can about all areas of visual arts.  I am loving showing and selling my artwork at shows and galleries.  I do not love the chore of framing my artwork.

As I've added more shows and increased the need for more inventory I have had to be super organized.  It takes a lot of planning to have work finished in time (while still maintaining quality I am proud of) and then have that worked scanned for prints, signed, matted and framed for display.  When I am doing back-to-back shows I need to have my framing and mat supplies ordered and on hand.  I live in such a remote area that there aren't stores that sell these items.   I have to forecast ahead of time what work I am going to do and then stick to those pieces - sometimes that means a new idea has to wait and last minute inspiration has to be ignored until a later date. 

Since my original work is done on old dictionary pages, the work isn't a uniform size.  My books are all different sizes so that means I need to cut mats and order framing that will suit what I'm planning to create.  I have to pull pages and order frames before the work is finished - sometimes all I have is a rough idea of what I want to draw on a page but I need to measure the page for a frame if I'm going to have it in time for a show.

Like most artistic folks - I hate math.  As a teacher I am fortunate that our gradebooks are now computerized so averaging is simplified.  So when it comes to cutting double mats and planning frames I sometimes get a headache.  It's all part of the job.  Drawing is called a discipline and it takes discipline to make it a business.




No comments: