VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Saturday, February 09, 2013

SEW MIXED MEDIA DRAWING ON DISTRESSED, DICTIONARY PAGE

"Sew"
6" x 9" Mixed Media Drawing on Distressed, Dictionary Page

I grew up on a farm.  Paul Harvey's poem about God Made the Farmer which recently played on a commercial at the Super Bowl got me good - it totally described my father.  Growing up as a farming family also meant I had an equally determined and selfless mother.  She taught me everything from how to sew to the importance and value of education.  My mother was a wonderful seamstress as were many of her generation as well as my two, skilled sisters.  I doubt there is a Panhandle native who didn't grow up with a resourceful, inventive seamstress.

My mother passed away 13 years ago and it was her loss that spurred me on to change professions, leaving social work with addicts and alcoholics to become a teacher.  A dear neighbor lost her mother not that long ago and she asked me to create a sewing machine drawing in her mother's memory.  Her mother had been the Wall Mart sewing department lady for years and years.  I think it is a fitting tribute to a lot of strong women (and men folk, too) who take what little they have to fashion into what clothes and comforts us.

Thanks, Mother!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Beautiful! I love this image as my mother still quilts on a Singer "Feather-weight" sewing machine. I'd love to know more about the media you use. Where can I find out more about your work?