VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

STEP ONE IS A SEPIA INK DRAWING


I included information about my process of working on antique dictionary pages on my blog a long time ago - it all begins with a sepia ink drawing on the page.  I have always loved to draw so this stage is my favorite.

I believe these ink drawings could stand alone without adding any color but I continue to paint each piece to have a unified series of my work.  

One of the challenges of this stage in my work is composing my drawing around the definition on the page.  A lot depends on the placement of the definition - if it is high, left or right or smack-dab in the center of the page.  I particularly love finding an illustration already on the page to feature inside or around my drawing.


I think drawing skills are essential to creating all kinds of arts whether it be painting or sculpture or what have you.  I emphasize it in my classroom and have developed a curriculum that can teach anyone to draw.  I rely heavily on the art teacher's Bible "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by the late, Dr Betty Edwards.  I think anyone can learn to draw if they want to.

These are some new pieces I am preparing for my upcoming OKC show over Memorial Day.  I like to draw most of the new work then drag out my color media to conquer the next stage in the process.  I can easily draw at my desk at school while my students are working and use the work to provide some technical instruction for my students.  

No comments: