VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Saturday, October 06, 2012

JOURNEY



"Journey"
12" x 18" Mixed Media Drawing on Distressed, Parchment Paper

I just finished a second, larger drawing on a reproduction of a dictionary paper.  I love antique things that show wear and use and that's what I was going for with these vintage compasses.  I thought they served as a fitting metaphor for JOURNEY. 

There were a few times during the construction of this piece that I contemplated tearing it up and throwing it in the trash.  I am at that stage of preparation for my solo show that I am doubting my choices and fretting over what I've sign on to.  I think most creative folks find themselves in this pickle from time to time.

I believe strongly in challenging myself and pushing myself to create.  I know far too many skilled artists who never venture out and promote their work and have stacks of dusty work tucked under their bed or the back of their closets.  I see students every year with mad talent who aren't willing to put the time and effort into creating the work that they are capable of.  I am determined not to let that happen to me.

I took a break this morning to drop off some mailing addresses to the gallery sponsoring my solo show.  They are graciously mailing out invitations to friends and family.  While I was there my daughter Lindsay and grandson Tate stopped by.

Lindsay and Tate admire a poster in the gallery promoting my show

So after a good dose of family support, a friendly chat with the wonderful, gallery director I am back on the easel and going at it again.  Hopefully I won't have to be medicated before the show happens...(just kidding there). 

No comments: